Downtown Tucson Looking
[above] In 1945 Tucson had a population
of around 40,000. The downtown "twin towers", the Pioneer
Hotel and the Consolidated Bank building, dominated the skyline
and El Paso & Southern Pacific Train depot and the nearby Carl
Hayden Hospital were in operation.
[top right] In 1995 the 1-10 interstate
freeway had created a western barrier and urban renewal further
changed the city center's view.
[right] By 2005 a new Broadway underpass
project was completed and the recently constructed Federal building
contributed to a newer skyline that now has a few more "towers"
shadowing the downtown streets.